Friday, 25 May 2012

Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Jam and Strawberries

With the Queen's Diamond Jubilee and, more importantly, my 19th birthday coming up I decided it was time to make cake!
Last week I made the most divine Raspberry Chocolate Cupcakes which you can read about on here:  http://thelastkrystallos.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/anyone-for-cake.html (I'll write a post soon but I can't find the photos I took...) 

Anyhow, this post is about an equally beautiful Chocolate cake with Raspberry jam and Strawberries. 
As my poor dad will confirm I went a little bit "Crazy Cake Lady" while making this cake... I followed the recipe perfectly and it didn't raise, I couldn't make the 'chocolate scroll' decorations that looked so easy in the book and the whole thing drove my just about crazy! But by 10:30 at night it was finished and looked amazing, and trust me, it tastes as good as it looks. 



Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Jam and Strawberries

NOTE: I made this recipe twice to make two layers because for some reason (Possibly our terrible, old oven) it didn't raise...and I put Raspberry jam between the layers.

Serves: 15 (Unless you want really big pieces... Like me...)
Prep Time: Only about 20 minutes... But for me it was about 3 hours and 30 minutes...
Cooking Time: 30-35 minutes

Ingredients:

Cake: 
150g (5oz) Self Raising Flour
150g (5oz) Caster Sugar
175ml (6fl oz) Soured Cream (I used natural yoghurt for the second layer because I ran out of soured cream)
120g (4oz) Butter
30g (1oz) Cocoa Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 Egg

Chocolate Glaze:
90g (3oz) Milk Chocolate 
45g (1.5oz) Butter
2 tsp Golden Syrup

Decorations:
Strawberries
Icing Sugar
Optional: Raspberry Jam (If yours didn't raise either)

Extra
9in Round Cake Tin


Method:
1: Grease a 9in round cake tin and line the bottom of the tin with greaseproof paper.

2: Preheat oven to 180 C/350 F/Gas 4.

3: In a large bowl beat all of the cake ingredients with an electric mixer until blended. (Easy right?)

4: Spread mixture evenly in the cake tin and bake for 30-35 minutes or until knife comes out clean. Cool in tin on wire rack for 10 minutes. Loosen the cake with a palette knife and turn out onto a wire rack, peel off paper and cool completely.

5: Meanwhile, make the chocolate glaze. In a small heavy saucepan over an extremely low heat, melt the milk chocolate, butter and golden syrup stirring frequently until melted and smooth. Remove from hear and continue stirring for a few minutes. 

6: Place greaseproof paper under the wire rack and spoon the glaze over the cake. Leave cake to stand for 45 minutes in room temperature until glaze is firm. 

7: If it didn't raise, go make another cake as a bottom layer and spread raspberry jam between the layers. 

8: Transfer cake to a pretty cake stand and decorate with strawberries and icing sugar sifted on top. 

9: Try not to drop it... I almost did...



Original Recipe from: 'Mary Berry's Desserts and Confections' Recipe Book. 
Recipe quoted with alterations.

1 comment:

  1. He he! #9. Try not to drop it...
    Our hearts (not cake) were in our mouths when you waved that cake stand around with the cake on top and it slid...
    I mean, after all that time and effort it would have a pity not to have got to actually eat it!
    And I'll get a new oven one day...

    ReplyDelete