Friday, 25 May 2012

Five Sentence Fiction: Silence


Another week, another prompt word for Five Sentence Fiction... 

This time we have 'SILENCE'. 


--
Her screams echoed through the room; though they failed to penetrate her soundless world, she gripped my arm her nails cutting into my flesh.

“Push, you can do it, just one more push, I can see his head!” I encouraged.

Her screams reached a mighty crescendo as little Zach saw the world for the first time, and the midwife placed him into Kate’s arms.

I nodded and smiled as her questioning eyes glanced from Zach’s to mine and her beautiful eyes glittered with tears of blissful joy as Zach’s cries pierced the silence.

The sound of which Kate could only imagine.
--

Source: Lisa Shambrook (Starring myself)

To see my last Five Sentence Fiction:

8 comments:

  1. A great take on the prompt. Again I'm reminded of how lucky I am to be able to hear. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this. You delivered a knock-out punch in the closing sentence. And the picture is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just so good--I also enjoyed the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deafness was not expected. great use of the prompt and a nice twist at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story of a special moment. My second-born is three months-old. AT her birth I was once again struck by how noisy inside my head was, while the room was so silent (home birth with a midwife ;) Nice play with the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job, really makes you think about how blessed we are with hearing. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. a strong last line tied it nicely

    ReplyDelete
  8. Touching, thought provoking, nicely done :)

    ReplyDelete