Sunday, 20 November 2011

Tutorial: Mystic Medusa

I've been trying to find time to create a makeup look for LisaJoyYoung's contest on YouTube with the theme 'Ugly Beautiful'. I created a look based on the Greek Myth Medusa, I figured she must be pretty ugly to be able to turn people to stone with just a glance...

I'm pretty sure I won't come close to winning, there's so may more awesome entry's and I have to wait for Christmas before I get the face painting products I really need so I couldn't do a proper face paint look... And I think that's really what LisaJoyYoung was looking for.

But this is my twist on Medusa and I hope you like it...


I thought that while I'm at it, I'd make a tutorial for you guys, so here we are!

Products Used:
Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation in 51 Light Vanilla
Johnsons Baby Powder
MUA Pro Eyeshadow Trio in Eden
Eyeko Line and Shine in Superstar Eyes
Beauty UK Palette No. 2
Sleek Kajal Eyeliner in Odyssey
Beauty UK Eyeshadow Collection in Bright
Sleek iDivine Palette in Acid
VIVO Eyeshadow Trio in Be-Dazzled
ELF Cream Eyeliner in Black
Rimmel 3 in 1 Mascara

So lets get going...

Start with your usual foundation routine but make it paler with a baby powder or white powder, and contour your temples and cheeks with a khaki green shade.


Use a purple eyeliner, I used Eyeko's Line and Shine, to draw scale type shapes on your temples.


Use a gold eyeshadow to fill in these scales, you don't have to do this but it adds a bit more interest.


Use a purple eyeshadow or liner to fill in and shape your brows. I used Sleek's Kajal Liner in Odyssey.


Use the same shadow or liner to draw in a cut crease.


Use a dark green eyeshadow in the outer half of you eyelid. 


Apply a brighter green on the inner half and blend.


Apply a bronze/ gold shade above the crease and blend down the sides of the nose.


Use a bright purple shadow to blend the cut crease.


Define the cut crease with any pigmented black eyeshadow.


Line the waterline with a black eyeshadow or kohl pencil and the upper lashline with a gel or cream eyeliner. Keep it thin and as close to the lashline as possible, it's up to you if you wing it out at all.


Finish off with a generous amount of mascara, and false lashes if you like, and a deep purple lipstick. (I used the kajal eyeliner with a dab of gold eyeshadow in the centre.)


That's all, you're done! Now stick some snakes in your hair and party the night away!


You can see the contest entry video here:


2 comments:

  1. nice! xo

    p.s. I'm having a giveaway for an arty-oval style ring if you'd like to check it out. :)
    devorelebeaumonstre.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful - this reminds me of Dax from Star Trek Deep Space Nine! In case I'm too geeky, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jadzia_Dax

    ReplyDelete