Thursday, 16 June 2011

Skincare Regime for Dry and Sensitive Skin

So as you may know, I had a small (by small I mean massively large) problem with my skin a few months ago. I still don't know for sure what that was caused by but I have a few ideas, I may have severely dried out my skin with my obsessive cleaning since washing your face with water too often has a drying effect no matter how much moisturiser you're using. There's a possibility that I developed an allergy to my beloved BB Cream which I can't use any more because it gives me painful, red, itchy skin, I also have a sensitivity to Lanolin which you'll find in a lot of moisturisers such as E45 Lotion. So I have to be really careful with what I use on my skin, if you have sensitive skin you'll know what I mean. Anyhow, that 'issue' has totally cleared up now and left me with lovely skin, but only when I look after it properly. The skincare regime below is as good as law for me, if I skip it I will no doubt suffer three days worth of red, itchy and insanely dry skin. So on with the regime...


When I wake up in the morning the first thing I do is apply a toner which will refine the pores and remove residues and sweat. You really want to stick with a toner for dry skin that is free of alcohol, fragrance or other alergens. The one I use is from Wilkinsons, by a small supermarket owned company called Skin Therapy...


Next, before the toner absorbs I like to use an intensive moisturiser to lock in all possible moisture, I use one that was prescribed to me called Epaderm Cream, it's used on babies and people with bad eczema or dry skin conditions so it's amazing stuff for sensitive skin (You can buy it here: http://amzn.to/epaderm). You could also use Simple Rich Moisturiser (http://bit.ly/simplerich).


Once I've applied one layer I do another thinner layer of moisturiser over the areas that tend to be drier throughout the day such as around my mouth and nose, and my eyelids.

Then I just do my make up as normal, but when you have dry or sensitive skin you need to choose products that are right for your skin type; I haven't yet found a foundation that doesn't make my skin flake during the day but I find that dry skin tends to be pretty clear and I don't need high coverage so I stick to my ELF Tone Correcting Concealer and ELF Studio Translucent Powder.


For a bit over colour in my cheeks I like lip and cheek stains because they're not powder and therefore far less drying, I'm using Benefit's PosieTint but you can opt for a more affordable brand, (I didn't buy the benefit products, I got mini bottles in July's Glamour Magazine) for a highlight I use Benefit's High Beam and for a bit of colour in my lips I use a tinted chapstick.


Thus concludes my morning regime... It may sound like it takes a long time but it really doesn't... :)
To keep your skin hydrated during the day drink a lot of water, 2000ml a day, it's difficult to get in the habit, but it's worth it.


Then we have the evening regime, the first thing you need to do is remove all of your make up, anything left on your skin will end up drying it out even more (at least it does with me...) I use the Simple Kind to Eyes Eye Make up Remover to remove all of my make up... Yes I know this is taboo to some people but for me it's the most sensitive thing I can use to remove my make up and it works for me (Keep in mind I don't wear a lot of make up...). Another good eye make up remover that's been recommended for sensitive skin is The Body Shop Camomile Gentle Eye Make up Remover, and of course you can always use Extra Virgin Olive Oil; it works, believe me.


After removing my make up I use the same toner I use in the morning to remove residue from my make up remover, and finally I moisturise like mad!

So that's my everyday skincare regime for my extremely dry and sensitive skin... I thought I'd include a few recipes for masks that I swear by to rescue my skin.

Avocado and Honey Mask
For my super sensitive skin I would do this once or twice a week, but I'm pretty sure it's good for everyday use. All of the ingredients in this are super moisturising and the honey helps to retain this moisture, once I've used this mask my skin is amazingly soft and supple.
1/4 Avocado
1/4 Cup Honey
1 Tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Mash the avocado in a bowl and stir in the honey and olive oil.
Apply to the face avoiding the eye area and leave for 20 minutes.
Rinse face with a lukewarm wash cloth.


Natural Yoghurt Mask
You can use this everyday, I managed to forget sunscreen a week ago and this rescued me after being sunburned!
1 Dessert Spoon of Natural Yoghurt (Or more, it's up to you...)
1 tsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Stir together and apply to face, leave for 20-30 minutes.
Rinse face with a lukewarm wash cloth.


I hope this helps those of you who have dry or sensitive skin, or both!
And just some proof that my skin is all nice and good now because of this regime... (Ignore the cut on my forehead, apparently my cats plan to kill me in my sleep...)


Do you have any ideas to help keep dry skin at bay? x

No comments:

Post a Comment